Too Much for Me

I have been absent from my blog as life has thrown a lot into the past week or so. We lost a neighbour and friend very suddenly early this week, had news from a close family member that a cancer he had been clear of for nearly five years had returned, a dear friend battling cancer having one step forward and two steps back and too much other stuff for anyone to have in one week.
I have hidden whenever I can in my studio which is the one place I can forget anything in the real world outside the door and get lost in my painting.
Tuesday morning we had flooding here in Goolwa just in time for my watercolour class.My students had to struggle to get from their cars with all their painting gear but we were able to joke about how much we love lots of water when painting in watercolour!
I have had mixed success with my painting which is quite understandable given the weeks events and this morning after trying one last attempt to rescue a full page abstract that had already taken two days I cut out the bits that worked and then tossed the rest in the bin. Today I am painting something more traditional and fingers crossed it wont end in the bin.

Here is another abstract that I finished last week - it forms part of my "Keys" series. Its mixed media on a full watercolour Arches 300gsm Cold Press Sheet 76cm x 56cm

Keyed Alike



Comments

  1. Oh Lorraine. Really sorry to hear all your sad news. Life certainly sends us some tough times to get through. As you said to me not too long ago... we are lucky to have our art to help us through. Your painting looks fabulous and the strain of the week does not show at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorraine, I'm so sorry you're dealing with some sad situations. It seems to come in waves here too. As we know, painting is a get-away. Love this Keys piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about everything. Sometimes life is just too much...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about the difficulties that you are experiencing right now, Lorraine. Hoping for better times ahead for you and all who you love and care about. Your keys series is beautiful - reminds me of a Miro painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear of all the bad news coming your way - and the flooding, too. Sounds like now would not be a good time to start something new and experimental but do something that soothes your soul and spirit. Wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Lorraine - sorry friend about all your bad news this week. It is hard to focus when those we love are suffering. Certainly understand because I am encountering the same things too. Glad to see your lovely abstract. Keep painting - Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, so many bad news, no wonder you haven't been blogging for a while. Painting is a great therapy and hiding in the studio can be very helpful ( I do the same ) . Love your abstract, reminds me of Picasso.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for the sad things going on in your life right now. ((Hugs)) It is good that you have art to help you get away from things a bit. I'm picturing your students wading through huge puddles with all their supplies. Nice abstract for your keys series!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm very sorry to hear you are going through some sad times. It is a gift we have art to get us through, so happy to see you posting and sharing this beautiful piece! Sending you hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this piece Lorraine. It's good to stretch your boundaries and experiment. It's called growth. Painting abstracts must be one of the most difficult things to do. I have thrown out so many. Sorry to hear about your recent news. Time heals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No doubt about it - life sucks sometimes, but the amazing thing is how life goes on. Your strength to carry on and keep painting does you justice. The end result is really a very good piece. Love the color and flowing movement.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love sharing my journey with fellow bloggers and your feedback through comments is always appreciated.