Take a Gander




Its been nearly 3 weeks since my last post which I think is about the longest break on my blog. Its not because I have fallen in a heap this month quite the opposite. I have been under the pump keeping up with preparation and delivery of my weekly watercolour class, collecting from finished exhibitions, preparing for three imminent exhibitions and of course painting as much as I can.

To demonstrate how I paint a white subject in watercolour for my current class I chose an image of a Goose. I painted it in portrait style a week before having to demo to the class to make sure I had the feel right, choosing colours from my regular palette. During the class I painted another, changing the format to landscape and using only the colours that the students have in their palette. Its amazing how using the same reference over can always produce unique and exciting results purely by colour choice, brush marks, paper surface and background textures and the magic that only watercolour can do. I loved my "Take a Gander" but was equally delighted with the second one "Take Another Gander". Thought you might also like to see some of my students paintings from our "show and tell" on Tuesday.

Take a Gander
Unfamed size 38cm x 31cm
Arches 300gsm Hot Press Paper

Take Another Gander
Unframed size 28.5cm x 38cm
Arches 300gsm Cold Press Paper








Comments

  1. Both looks lovely but my favourite is the second one. I have never thought about the difference between hot press or cold press paper actually. What kind I prefer of those to. Will look in to that now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both looks lovely but my favourite is the second one. I have never thought about the difference between hot press or cold press paper actually. What kind I prefer of those to. Will look in to that now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lorraine, your birds are always my favorite subjects. Somehow they always have such special personalities. Love the way you've painted the eyes. Looks like a fun workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both are lovely, Lorraine. Great to see photos of your workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are obviously a good teacher. Your students did good on the assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two great ganders, their heads really pop !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love both of those ganders. You're backgrounds, too, are just excellent! Your schedule sounds so busy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Lorraine both of these paintings are lovely. The backgrounds add so much too. Glad to hear you are busy. Hope you have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lucky these students are to be able to watch you paint!!! I love taking a gander at your geese!

    ReplyDelete
  10. glad your tutoring is going so well lorraine ...great to see your photos

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love sharing my journey with fellow bloggers and your feedback through comments is always appreciated.