Dressing Up with Black and White

Here are two paintings finished this week where the subject of the good old Australian Magpie presented me with the challenge to paint them showing that there's more to them than just being black and white. I used lovely varieties of blues, pinks, yellows to create interesting blacks and greys ensuring I carried the same colours throughout the painting as a whole.

Something We Said?
38cm x 38cm
on 425 gsm Saunders Waterford Hot Press



The Thieving Magpie
Watercolour and Tissue Collage
31cm x 40cm
on 425 gsm Saunders Waterford  Hot Press

Comments

  1. Your blacks are very rich and look velvety. I love both works and like how you are always able to instill a story into a subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the richness of the color of the feathers of the magpies! These are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love your birds Lorraine but these two pieces really stand out for me. Such personalities you captured, and I love your colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful figures, Lorraine. And color unity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks Celia, Terry, Joan and Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Lorraine both of these paintings are so eye catching. Your darks are fabulous and the subject matter is right up my alley. Looks like September is off to a great start. Hope you have a delightful day. Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love sharing my journey with fellow bloggers and your feedback through comments is always appreciated.