Liebster Award

Best Foot Forward
Painting Size 22.5" x 15"


I was really attracted to this image when I saw it on facebook posted by talented photographer Gary Jones a couple of days ago. Gary shares a lot of his beautiful images for artists to paint and I was really pleased when he said I could use his reference for my painting. I started this yesterday morning and was really excited with my choice of colours for the water as soon as they hit the paper. I used Idanthrene Blue a new colour to me along with a little Cerulean, Phthalo Turquoise and some Ultramarine Violet. I masked just the very edge of the swan to give me the best chance of getting the water down without it spilling into the white. I was keen to complete this yesterday as my daughter and grandson were coming to stay for a few days and I knew I would not get too much painting time.

This week I was given the honour by artist Sharon Whitley of the Liebster Award. Sharon is a talented watercolourist but is adventuring into Pastels with lovely success.
Fellow bloggers have seen this award on many blogs but for those of my followers who are not bloggers - it is given as an encouragement award and gives the opportunity of passing forward the award to interesting and inspiring blogs who have less than 200 followers. The idea is for the recipient to award this to five more people. Many of the blogs on my reading list have already received one and sometimes more of the award and it would be nice to spread the award further but I see that as I mostly follow watercolour artists we are all involved in the same circles. I have chosen five bloggers who have provided me with artistic stimulation of such variety during my art journey - I hope you will follow the link and take a look at their art if you have not already done so.

Terry Freemark Watercolors Terry is an amazing portrait artist who I met through an internet art course back in 2011 and we have remained friends ever since and I value her support and encouragement.
Anita Bentley Anita is a professional artist who is only just starting to blog. I took two or three classes with her in 2011 before she stopped teaching to paint herself full time. Her work is admired around the world and her work in watercolour in landscapes and buildings is so very very fresh.
Amanda Brett An artist I only came across late last year. Amanda lives in New Zealand and her work is exciting and unique. I hope one day I will make it over to take one of her workshops.
Yvonne Harry The flower paintings that Yvonne produces are always exquisite and she openly shares her process which provides ideas to experiment with. 
Gary Jones - Walks and Wildlife Last but not least I choose Gary for both his artistic photographic work and beautiful blog but also for his generosity in sharing so many of his wonderful photos for artists inspiration 



Comments

  1. Gorgeous watercolor and image Lorraine! I see why you had to paint this swan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry, sometimes when I see an image I cannot wait to paint I have to do it now nit just add it to a list - this is one of them

      Delete
  2. This is stunning, Lorraine. The brilliant blues of the water really make the swan pop. Beautifully executed.

    Thank you so kindly for the shout-out. I value your friendship, too. In a very short time and over a large expanse of the world, we have developed a wonderful connection, and I have enjoyed your growth as an artist, and value your encouraging words and critical eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like this one Terry. The blues did work well together - something I need to remember as sometimes my choice of colours for the water produce uninteresting water

      Delete
  3. A lovely looking Whooper Swan but what catches my eye as much as the swan is the water. I find it a difficult subject with paint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul, I do not always have success with water - I sometimes still manage to get it a bit muddy

      Delete
  4. Agree with Paul. The work on the water is fabulous. Lovely rich colours throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura - you will know what I mean when I say the first brushstrokes with the water told me it will work this time

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Lorraine:) Congratulations on the winning of a Blog Award. I love your paintings and think it's well deserved to win this prize! Your swan is so lovely and you are right about the color of the water; very beautiful. The shadows in the water are so well done. I'm sure your daughter and grandson did like it very much. I hope you had some wonderful days!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Renate for your lovely comments, the swan was liked by my family

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love sharing my journey with fellow bloggers and your feedback through comments is always appreciated.