Crucial Ingredient

Some weeks I surprise myself with having several happy painting results and other weeks the pickings seem slim. There is however always the crucial ingredient no matter what the result and that ingredient is FUN. One of my other (used to be most important) pastimes was cooking and ingredients for recipes needed to be measured - not too much and not too little but when it comes to art I am at last realising that the ingredient of FUN must not be carefully measured but applied in huge liberal amounts. This then guarantees that I will come back for more regardless of the result of my last experiment with my brushes. I have not had the hours to paint this past week as I would wish but have had some lovely family time, friend time and preparation for new exhibitions but when I have had my brush in hand I have had some real fun experimenting with different combinations of colour, inks and Yupo paper. Hopefully I will be able to build on these experiments and come up with some good results to share.


I have always had a love of Wisteria with their pendulous blooms and often remember one we had in a garden of an old villa we owned some years back, little did I know then that I would take up art and have the opportunity to bring back the memories forever in paint.
The "paint it now" inspiration came about after having a lovely lunch last Wednesday with friends. We talked about Wisteria and later that evening I was emailed a photo Maria had from her holiday in Europe last year with a beautiful Wisteria climbing over the building they happen to be outside. I added to the painting experience yesterday by setting myself up outside in my garden to paint under the Pergola which when lost in the moment of creativity I imagined it was Wisteria above my head and not our lovely Glory Vine 
Wisteria Vine
39cm x 50cm

Comments

  1. Lorraine your painting is gorgeous and I can almost smell the Wisteria. Purples and greens are so nice together. And I sure do agree with your FUN ingredient. When do they bloom in your area? It's late March, early April here in California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry for your lovely comment, Wisteria flowers are Spring and Summer for us so that's Sept-March not sure how long they last, it was about 12 years ago when we had one of these lovely vine in our garden.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely post... you make your joy of painting come alive!! I have tried wisteria several times and it really isn't easy... I even asked the tutor I had a couple of years ago how to do in a loose way, he didn't know either so you've done really well with this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judith, glad you enjoyed reading this and thank you for your compliment on my Wisteria painting, being in the zone really helps me capture the essence of blooms in this loose style

      Delete
  3. These wisteria are vivid and exciting, Lorraine. Just a beautiful painting. Funny, cooking was my passion also before I started painting. I think some of us must always obey the urge to create!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry, being relaxed outside painting this made it come together without too much fussing. Funny how you too love cooking, I am deciding to try and get back to it at least twice a week and thought the distraction away from my brushes would help me be less obsessive with my painting -um.. Let's see lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love sharing my journey with fellow bloggers and your feedback through comments is always appreciated.